Scent Marketing and Branding is used everywhere. Here are few interesting facts we’ve picked up during our time in the industry.
- Casino’s like The Bellagio in Las Vegas use scent vented onto the gaming floor to increase gambling revenues.
- Victorias Secret has a specific fragrance that is used to imprint their brand onto the patrons of their stores.
- Hotel chains are using fragrance to enhance the experience of their patrons and create a scented brand image: The Westin, The Sheraton, Omni Hotels, Holiday Inn, The Marriott, Langham Hotels, The Ritz and Starwoods Four Points just to name a few.
- 75% of our emotions are generated by what we smell.
- 30% to 50% of all purchases are impulse buys.
- Scent is the only one of our 5 senses that goes directly to the limbic system which is directly connected to those parts of the brain that control heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, stress levels, hormone balance, and memory.
- In a German movie theater the audience was shown an advertisement and simultaneously a fragrance was emitted into the vent ducts. Later a survey was done and the audience recall of the ad was 500% higher for the scented version as opposed to the unscented.
- Flavors and Fragrances are a $20 billion dollar a year industry.
- Fragrances affect our moods:
- Lavender can stimulate relaxation
- Jasmine improves hand-eye coordination and enhances athletic performance
- Rose increases olfactory evoked nostalgia
- Violet enhances learning speed by 17% and can improve concentration during study
- Cinnamon and Pine will bring back happy memories
- Both cruise ships: Queen Mary 2 and the Liberty of the Seas have signature scents to give their guests and added relaxing experience and scent brand their ships.
- M&M World at it’s Time Square store pumps chocolate fragrance onto the street to lure in people to their stores
- Sony pumps the smell of orange, vanilla and cedar in their stores in an effort to sell more electronics.
- In 2006 a marketing company put scented strips onto vending machines in factory break rooms. Sales tripled